Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 13



Happy Birthday, Lola! My dad's mom is 80... something today... I know she was something like, six years younger than my grandpa, but I'm not so sure how old my grandpa would have been. I'm going to say she's about 85 today.

You'll find out more about my mother's mother in about a week, but I'd like to say that both my grandmas have been great examples of strength.

Not that my other grandma isn't but, this grandma is BEAST. Maybe five or so years ago, she got a walker because she said she was too fragile and needed support walking. She also moved in with her kids because she didn't think she could take care of herself in the day to day. This same grandma traveled the 10 or so hours to the Philippines and Guam around the same time. She survived WWII (where she married my grandpa to avoid being a "comfort woman"), learned sewing on her own (and was amazing at it!), and uprooted her life to move to Australia with her grown kids. She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2007 and they told her she had a few months to live, and though she's in the hospital right now, she's definitely a fighter.

She reminds me that no matter the circumstances, strength of mind will help you to prevail.

I haven't seen her since the summer of 2007, but when I did, she told me that out of all her grandchildren, I reminded her the most of herself. She looked so proud, beaming at me when she said that... I only hope I can live up to her expectations for me...

So... why the picture... The last time I saw her, she gave me some money. I thought this was funny because I gave her money also. But I took it and vowed I would use those exact bills to buy something for myself that I could say I technically got from my grandma. I settled on this Agatha bracelet. I was going to see if I could find a hot stranger and maybe get him to take a picture with his six pack (because apparently, my grandma likes the good looking muscle men...), but alas, I could not find one, so the bracelet had to do.

Happy Birthday, Lola! Missing you and praying for your safe recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment