Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sidebar: I think I have issues with sleep

I'm not sure if it's because I work seven days a week, take three dance classes, sometimes play softball, and try to have some semblance of a social life in between while still trying to find time to read books that I borrowed from the library... but for the life of me, I don't seem to be capable of sleeping properly. If my head can hit the pillow, it doesn't stay there for as long as I hope it would (as evidenced by my inability to sleep past 9 a.m. on my first day off in 19 days this past Saturday). And now...well, I should have been asleep a few hours ago and yet, here I am, awake. And fairly lucid, if I might add. As much as I miss sleep and crave for it, I can't seem to actually have any. :(

...So I spent a majority of my weekend with Brandon's family and it finally hit me: I always used to marvel at how it was possible that I was surrounded by such awesome friends...and I find that it is totally because their parents are insanely amazing! I've had the pleasure of first meeting Rich's parents (and subsequently working with his family), then Devin's parents, and now Brandon's and I can say with absolute certainty that they are some of the coolest people I've ever met. Warm and inviting, incredibly chill, and seriously fascinating and funny.

I got to spend most of my Saturday afternoon with Brandon's mom, shopping since I figured Brandon would want to skip that and I had a great time just chilling and walking around. I think I may have inadvertently killed her feet though. :( But she was a great sport and so much fun to hang out with.

Spending that much time around a close knit family who also extended their circle for me (and for Jeff, who was also visiting) and getting to see their dynamic together totally made me think of my family. While there are much more of us in my family, which makes for a pretty chaotic time, the love in their family feels pretty similar to the kind my family shares too. It makes me miss my parents. And my brother and sister. And their families...

It's weird how families can get separated so easily. Brandon probably hasn't lived with his folks since he was 18 and has been around the world ever since. I think he can count on one hand the amount of Christmases he's spent at home since then... I haven't shared a house for more than a few months with my parents since I left for NYU when I was 17. My sister and her family's whereabouts are dictated by the Army so she's been away almost as long as I have... We've scattered everywhere and it's so difficult to all get together any time we want. But just as I see with Brandon and his family, I know that when it happens, no matter for how long, it's still an amazing time, even in its relatively quiet moments. I loved the fuzzy feeling I got hanging with Brandon's family in the park.

I can't wait til it's my turn...

...and there's my random ramblings at 3 in the morning!!! Gahhhh this is sooo gonna hurt in a few hours. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment