Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 159: I Will Follow You Into the Dark...

So after Luca left tonight, I went into my room and tried to turn on my light, and it kind of popped and then went out. I kind of found myself in the dark for a minute, silhouette in the mirror, and thought it would be cool to see if I could catch the light from the hallway. That didn't turn out too well, but I flicked on this tiny lamp that I had in my room and that helped things a little bit...



It's funny when I think about this shot for today because it kind of parallels how I feel. Today was one of those weird days where even though you know what's coming, when unpleasant things that you already expected come along, it doesn't make you any more prepared. It can be a little difficult to handle, and it can be just a little overwhelming. At least for me. It's so easy to slip into this place where you find yourself standing in the dark, feeling for a way out, or even just staying there. Not so comfortable when all you want to do is get out, except you don't know how...

But... I'm finding myself extremely lucky in that on a day such as today, I have Luca. That little beacon of light so I don't feel so weird and lost. After six years of friendship, whether he's lived just down the street, or in another country, or on the opposite side of this island, it's nice that we've never been all that far apart, really...and I'm finding out recently that visits with him are like that bright spot in my room; something to look to when things start feeling like it's too much...

I had better days than today (though, I've also had worse)... but it was easy to forget that once I stepped out of the station and saw him across the street, leaning against the park fence and listening to his iPod with his bright yellow sneakers standing out from 50 feet away...

In the face of any kind of day, life is so much better when you know how blessed you are...

No comments:

Post a Comment